Kinetic Typography

Kinetic Type 2 from Danielle Kanuck on Vimeo.

 

For this project, we were tasked with finding an audio clip that we could illustrate with typography. For my clip, I chose a scene from 21 Jump Street. There was a lot of fast-paced dialogue in this clip to work with.  Continue reading

Advertisements
Posted in Time-Based | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Messthetics

Messthetics from Danielle Kanuck on Vimeo.

 

Music: www.bensound.com

For this project, we were tasked with reviewing visual trends and choosing one to focus on or respond to. The visual trend that struck me the most was “Messthetics,” which is basically going against the order to show something that more resembles humans. It is messy and grimy; nothing is ever “perfect.” Continue reading

Posted in Time-Based | Tagged , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Dynamic Screen Wipes

DynamicWipe from Danielle Kanuck on Vimeo.
For this week’s journal exercise, I followed along with a tutorial on Lynda.com: Mograph Techniques: Shape Animation in After Effects. Through the exercise files available with the Lynda course and the instructional videos, I was able to better understand how simple techniques can be layered to create something much more complex. Continue reading

Posted in Journal/Exercise, Time-Based | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Tracking Masks Exercise

DoveBlur from Danielle Kanuck on Vimeo.

MediaBlur from Danielle Kanuck on Vimeo.

 

Both videos above were made using Adobe After Effects CC 2017.

As an exercise, I have taken two videos and tracked masks on them to blur out images. This can be effective when there is a logo or a person’s face that you may not have the clearance to show. Continue reading

Posted in Journal/Exercise, Time-Based | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Animating Text Exercise

TextExercise from Danielle Kanuck on Vimeo.

JellyText from Danielle Kanuck on Vimeo.

Both videos were created using Adobe After Effects CC 2017.

The first video is from an exercise on Lynda.com. It shows some of the basics of animating type. In order to create the first video, I downloaded the exercise files and manipulated some of the layers. I manipulated the position, opacity, and rotation of the text layers to create the effect.

For the second video, I used the concepts from the tutorial to create it. I had three layers in this piece: the video/media, “Jellyfish” text layer, and “The Majestic Story” text layer. By manipulating the text layers position, I was able to make them look like they were moving into the shot. I used a mask on “The Majestic Story” so that it would only appear in the space it is in. On the “Jellyfish” text layer, I manipulated the position so the it appeared to be flying in from the side. I also used a text animation preset in order to make it bounce.

 

Posted in Journal/Exercise, Time-Based | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

Video Glitch Exercise

Jelly from Danielle Kanuck on Vimeo.

 

The above video was created for a class exercise in creating video glitches. It was created using Adobe After Effects CC 2017. In order to make it appear as if the video was glitching, two effects were used together. Turbulent noise was used in one composition and layer to create the blocky look of the glitching. The values of that effect were adjusted in size, contrast, brightness, sub scaling, evolution, and a few others. When the effect was applied to a shape layer, this created a black and white glitched look. A second shape layer was used along with a displacement map. The displacement layer was adjusted so that it would reference the video/media layer. When all of the layers were placed together, the layer mode for the turbulent noise was changed to “Difference” because it added another dimension to the glitch effect.

Posted in Journal/Exercise, Time-Based | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Production Final

For my final project, I decided to genre-shift a few movies and tv shows. I explored the uses and ways to repurpose film and music to create new interpretations. Something that was meant to be happy and cheerful can also seem dreadful. I took three original works and used sound and video editing to give them new interpretations. I used the new “Spiderman” movie and turned it from an action to a thriller, the new “It” movie and turned it from a horror to a family film, and “Teletubbies” and turned it into a horror show.

The music in both the Teletubbie recut and the Spiderman recut are from http://www.purple-planet.com. The music for the “It” recut is from http://www.bensound.com.

Posted in Time-Based | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment